Monday, August 27, 2012

Convenience vs. What's Best

Doing what is best for students or what is most convenient?
Being a first year teacher, I am realizing just how much work goes into teaching! Working 10 hour days, and spending my weekends planning for the upcoming week, are pretty much what my life consists of. Dr. McLeod asks if teachers are doing what is best for students, or what is most convenient for them? He stresses the importance of incorporating technology into the classroom, as technology is proving to become one of the most influential aspects of our future.

I honestly believe that teachers I have interacted with are doing what they think is best for their students. The concept of incorporating technology into the classroom is vital. Many teachers lack the knowledge and training on various technologies, that they might be able to use in their classroom. For example, I know my school has SmartBoards in most rooms. Does that mean every teacher possesses the knowledge on how to use them most effectively? The answer is no. I know that I, personally, have very little knowledge on how to use my SmartBoard. With zero training offered to me, I was left on my own to try and figure it out. I do my best to incorporate the SmartBoard into my classroom every day. However, I know several teachers who just need more assistance in learning exactly how to incorporate these various types of technology into the classroom.
I guess what I am left wondering is, at what point is it the teachers responsibility to train themselves on how to use various types of technology, and how much responsibility is left to the schools and administration to ensure that their teachers are properly trained? I honestly believe that most teachers want to do what is best for their students. If all teachers were offered proper training and proper resources to incorporate technology into their class, I think they would.

No comments:

Post a Comment